March 9, 2023
Interested in becoming a homestay family?
We are reaching out today to see if there are new families interested in offering homestay opportunities for some International Education students.
We recognize it’s not always the best fit for everyone, but when there’s a match of the right family with the right student, it can be a great way to create an international experience within your own home. It is also an experience many of our host families talk about being a lasting and unforgettable learning opportunity!
We are looking to support and place a number of students in the upcoming months and year ahead. This includes:
- A two week program* to support a group of Japanese high school students who will be learning with us from July 23th to August 6th.
*Given the slightly different responsibilities of supporting students through this shorter period, a different fee structure applies for this placement. Please contact the International Education team to find out more.
- Families interested in supporting students who will be attending New Westminster Secondary School in September 2023. The majority of the students will be enrolled for the full school year, with another smaller group that will need homes for a five month stay. Most students will be coming from either Germany, Italy or Japan, with a variety of other European, Asian and Central and South American students also registered to join us.
What does it mean to be a homestay family for a 5 or 10 month period?
- To be a homestay family, you need to be able to provide:
- A private bedroom, with a desk, chair, lamp and a window
- Three meals a day, plus snacks
- Internet access to support both school work and connections to home countries and families
- The ability to support a young person as they make a big transition, alone
- An English speaking home environment
- Invitations for students to join in family activities or hobbies.
- Homestay families receive a monthly fee for hosting a student.
- Students attending NWSS take care of their own transit needs to and from school.
- Our International Education team is there to support both students and families.
The Homestay Manager for the International Education program will be there every step of the way as part of that team – helping do everything from placing our students with the right family to providing support to both students and families throughout their stay.
One change we do want to note is that starting July 1st, 2023 we will be increasing the amount each homestay family receives, as we know the costs of food and other necessities are all on the rise. The monthly total will be moving up to $1100 per student supported in your home.
Being a homestay family is not the right fit for every household. But for those ready to welcome new young people to experience all that this country and community have to offer, it can provide lasting friendships and opportunities for families to see the world in a new way.
Interested in learning more? Read this page on the International Education site: https://newwestinternational.ca/homestay-program/for-homestay-parents/
Ready to apply to be a new homestay family? You can apply directly here: https://mytruenorth.ca/hsportalindex.php?db=newwestminster
Questions? Please contact Homestay Manager Eva Shen: email@example.com or 604-517-6280.
Thanks for taking time to learn about and consider welcoming an excited student into your home! We look forward to connecting to see if you and your family could be the right fit to support and engage with these students and their parents.
– The International Education & The New Westminster Schools teams